Vegetable Soup Stock
A quart of this in the freezer guarantees hearty winter soups in half the time.
Next week I will share a vegetable soup recipe.
- Skins and ends from 4-6 onions
- Stalks from a bunch of parsley
- Dill stalks and seed heads
- Optional: Dried or fresh celery leaves
- Optional: Carrot, parsnip, or beet ends
- Optional: 4-6 leaves of beets, or chard
Save the ends from your vegetable preparation for a week, excluding cabbage-family plants, and you will be ready to make this tasty broth, with perhaps only the purchase of a bunch of parsley.
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Tightly cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 2-3 hours.
Cool. Refrigerate or freeze. Should make at least 2 quarts of broth.
(Picture of frozen stock - red onion skin, dill and beet green broth)
Mentor Students - Click Here for Core Material Work
Interested in becoming a mentor student? Learn more here.