top of page
Vegetable Soup Stock
A quart of this in the freezer guarantees hearty winter soups in half the time. It's fast and easy.
Gather supplies for a few days, including almost all vegetable "waste" with the exception of cabbage family members. I use
* Skins and ends from onions and garlic
* Stalks from parsley, chard, beets
* Ends of lettuce, celery, carrots, parsnips
* 4 quarts boiling water
* 1 ounce dried nettle
* 1 tablespoonful sea salt
* As much seaweed as you want
* Some dried mushrooms
Tightly cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
* Seasoning herbs of your choice such as thyme, rosemary, lavender, dill, shiso, oregano, marjoram, or fennel.
Steep for 2-4 hours. Refrigerate or freeze.
bottom of page