Serves 4 - 6
These ingredients feed your immune system and lower your cholesterol.
* Chop 1-2 large onions and saute in olive oil until soft.
* Mince 10-12 cloves of garlic and saute for a few minutes with the softened onion.
* Slice thinly 2 cups of fresh shiitake caps and saute for a few minutes.
* OR cut 1 cup dried shiitake into pieces and add to onions and garlic.
* Pour in 8 cups cold water and turn heat to high.
* Grate a piece of ginger root about as big as your thumb and add it to the soup.
* Toss in 5-6 slices of dried astragalus root.
* Add 1 teaspoonful each dried thyme, dried rosemary, and dried parsley or celery tops.
* Stir in 1 tablespoonful salt.
Bring to a boil; turn down the heat and simmer for an hour or so.
Serve at once, or let cool and serve the next day. This soup keeps well.
excerpt from Your Healthy Heart Online Course